Home > Graduate Programs > Graduate Handbook | Basic Responsibilities

Graduate Handbook | Basic Responsibilities

Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
For the 2017 - 2018 Academic Year
Printable pdf version.



Most full-time students receive a monthly stipend from the department. Funds for these stipends typically come from the externally funded grants and contracts of the student's advisor or from internal sources through the Graduate School. It is expected that full-time students receiving financial support from the University devote their entire professional efforts to research, teaching, and course work within the University.

Any extracurricular activities that require a significant time commitment, including: ND marching band, intramural coaching or refereeing, or any form of instruction (other than assigned TA responsibilities), must be approved by the student’s advisor and the Director of Graduate Studies.

Students are allowed the following University holidays: the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving and the following Friday, Christmas Eve through New Year's Day, Good Friday and Easter Monday, Memorial Day, and Independence Day. Students are expected to be present during Fall Break, Spring Break, and breaks before each semester and summer session. Any extra vacation time during periods in which the student is receiving financial support must be approved by the student's advisor. Students receiving University support as a Teaching Assistant (TA) must be available throughout the semester, and three days beyond the end of final exams, to support the courses for which they have responsibility. Any absence from campus by a TA during the semester must be approved in writing by the student’s research advisor, the instructor in the course for which the student is serving as a TA, and the Department Chair. 

Those students who are receiving stipend support in any form from the University must receive approval from their advisor, the Director of Graduate Studies and the Graduate School prior to pursuing any employment outside the Department.